Thursday, October 20, 2011

2 days later, and I'm back on track

Everyone has bad days. If you claim that you NEVER have a few in a row, I would call you a liar.

We're human. We're not perfect. That's what makes us who we are.

I have 3 beautiful, wonderful and loving kids. They are my whole world. PERIOD. As their mom, I get to teach them the tools and lessons that they will use time and time again in life. I teach them how to be kind, generous and to love themselves others. I teach them to be in control & responsible for their actions. I teach them that they will fail many times before they succeed, but that they must always keep trying because each failure teaches a lesson and makes them stronger. I tell them every day how much they are loved and how important it is to love yourself. I teach them that the only opinions that really matter in life are God's, their parents and their own.

Yet, even though I am a very good teacher and an excellent Mommy, I have to admit that over time, I've become a pretty crappy student. Sometimes, it's necessary to take a step back, shut-up, and (on rare occasion) let your students become your teacher.

Last night, as I was washing dishes and cleaning the kitchen, my 12 year old daughter came up to me and told me that she could tell I was losing weight, and that I looked great. I did my automatic response of, "No, I haven't. I'm still so fat." Then she said,

"Mom, why are you always putting yourself down?
You need to learn to accept a compliment and realize that you are doing a really good job."

That shut me up.

She was absolutely right. A 12 year old put me in my place.

How can I expect others to support me, to believe in me and to encourage me, when I can't even accept a compliment? The bottom line is, until I believe in myself, until I can encourage myself and love myself (faults and all), neither will others around me.

So I made a few mistakes and have been a victim of my self sabotage...who hasn't? Time to put my big girl panties on, learn from my mistakes and keep trying. I can't get to my goal weight by sitting in self pity. I'll never be on the "stage of victory" if I don't climb the steps.

1 Corinthians 9:24: Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.

And that, my friends, is what I'm going to do. I'll see you at the finish line. I'll be the one crying and accepting compliments.

No comments:

Post a Comment