Thursday, September 15, 2011

Life is a highway.....

Quick entry here today, as I thought of a great analogy/persuasive argument for people who want to lose weight but think it costs too much.

I was driving into work and the song, "Life is a Highway. I want to ride it all night long!" came on.
Great song.
It was in my head all day.

I got to work, still humming that song, and this idea came into my head.

If life is a highway, then I am the car. My BODY is my vehicle. My one trusty source of transportation, from the day we're born to the day we die. Why wouldn't I do ANYTHING...EVERYTHING...to maintain it and make sure it's running in tip top shape??

We, on average, spend over $500/month on our mechanical cars, just to HAVE them and make them run. That doesn't include their maintenance or repairs. On average, we only have those mechanical vehicles for 5-8 years before we trade them in for another, more expensive, car.

If we're OK with spending that kind of money on a car that we only keep for 5-8 years, why the heck aren't we OK with spending less than half of that on our personal bodies (cars) that we keep for 80+ years?!?!

And, though it's well known that if you don't keep up with maintaining your mechanical cars, they're sure to have shorter lifespans and frequent breakdowns, we seem to forget that the same is true with our bodies.

And so my friends...Life IS our highway. And I personally, really do want to to ride all LIFE long.

1 comment:

  1. great analogy there Melanie. looking forward to "cruisin" down that road with you for a long long time to come!

    ReplyDelete